Music and Emotions

I'm far too lazy to link back to anything tangible (annotations) tonight, but I am absolutely certain that there are no less than 100 zillion articles and studies that have profiled the organic and often completely emotional human response to music.
For as long as I can remember I have had an inclination towards music. There are periods of time that span years where I couldn't tell you what was happening in any detail but I can still tell you the order of my favorite Mix Tape from that era.
Today I heard every single patriotic song that has ever been sung and recorded. I even heard a couple live versions sung by 4 year old girls that hadn't yet gone digital. I thought I was galvanized, I didn't expect to get misty.
Over the last 20 years, I can't count how many times an Em and B flat played back-to-back have made me a bit weak about the heart. I think it's some kind of freaky nature within me, but that combination almost always makes me cry. And, it's never because I'm sad, it's just the combination touches something that I can't define OR control. Pretty cool stuff.
When Chelsea graduated from K-State I was sitting alone in the huge stadium place when this single, somber bagpiper dude came out and walked a slow and steady lap around the whole clam bake. I cried like a baby. Cartoon tears. For real. Squirting from my eyes in giant softball-sized drops.
Tonight I'm listening to Little Feat, Tom Petty and Sublime and have an overwhelming sensation to sleep outside and drink domestic beers.
Where ever it is that you are, I hope you've got a good Mix Tape to back you up.
Or Pandora. Seriously. Just go there.

Comments

Popular Posts