A Nod to Self Reliance


I have almost an entire lifetime spent in promotion. I remember promoting my first tree house and tire swing and building a solid case as to why they should happen. I also directed and tirelessly promoted many Rogue Neighborhood Theater productions around this same time.  
Off, off, way off Broadway stuff - built around the props found in the garage. But stellar stand-alone productions, complete with refreshments, merchandising and ushers.
I remember talking Blessed Sacrament into letting me publish the very first BS Barons School Newsletter in the history of time. I remember the smell of the mimeograph machine just as clearly as the endless hours I spent laying out a 6 page newsletter by hand. Talk about old-school - I had rulers and rub-off letters and lay-out boards that I actually touched.
The next forty years or so were spent in promoting an endless succession of businesses, lovers, writers, children, artists, musicians and restaurants. I am genetically engineered to be a Cheerleader-For-Hire. I shared a bedroom with a Xerox machine the size of a Volkswagen until I was in the 5th grade. (My father was an information technology and aerospace journalism pioneer, so it's not like I bought it with my own money that I'd saved from baby-sitting.)
When you grow up the eldest child of a family-run business, you learn the trade.
For me that meant lots of hours with letters and numbers. I got to proof-read and produce copy. I touched and processed lots of paper. I did direct-mail campaigns when I was a girl-scout. I learned about aviation too, but that was secondary to just learning how to learn about what ever I wanted. I learned how to find stuff. It's a pretty useful skill here in the 8th inning.
It's not like I've tired of learning about new and cool things to promote. Seriously, that's what I do. I just have to try this one thing...

I've done my research and can safely say that I don't suck half as much as I could. 
I have quantifiable results on my awesomeness.
Just so you know: From my initial post on facebook and 5 subsequent re-posts, I got 298 hits in 6 days. I know that doesn't mean I should be hiring help, but it's encouraging.
The average length of stay was 6 minutes.
That is an excellent ROI.
I'll be here watching my disdain for shameless self-promotion beat the shit out of my innate need for nutrition

This should be good.
Grab a chair. 
My money's going on nutrition.

 

Comments

  1. Your awesomeness is well established and shines brightly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the sound of me blushing.
    *Jeeesh*
    and thank you.
    lots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts