Word Up on Staying Married

I went to my 30th year class reunion last weekend and just about drowned in a love fest that was so long overdue. I've given it a week to percolate because I know I can talk too much, for too long and say too much.
I've spent the better part of the last 30 years denying my association and knee-deep in the belief that everybody hated me and it was an awful horrible existence.
Yea. Not so much.

It certainly didn't rock out loud to be me those days, but there was more fun than I'd remembered.
Nobody hated me but me, really. And in going through the yearbooks
and wading through everybody's memories, I've discovered that, with but a very small exception, most of us had pretty rugged formative years in high school.
Almost everybody I knew was so busy fighting their own demons, living through their own dysfunctional family lives and struggling to get from Point A
to Point B they didn't have the time or inclination to burn calories hating me.
*Phew*

Thank God I figured that out.
The people
I attended school with have grown into some amazing and beautiful humans. They lead meaningful lives. They recycle and vote responsibly. They have strong opinions and no longer care to engage in any kind of debate over who's right and who's not.
One of the th
ings that has made my heart swell like the Grinch's heart on Christmas morning is the number of people I've become reacquainted with who are still married to the person they fell in love with 25 years ago (or more in some cases.) I can't say if there are more of them than not, but I now know a whole bunch of people who are in healthy, openly loving relationships. They're thoughtful and considerate. They hold hands and have inside jokes. They have survived the fallout of growing up together. They are cuter than buttons.
I swear.
My daughter and Jonathan have been one of these couples for more than 10 years. I always thought they were an anomaly. But, reconnecting with the people who are my "Tribe" has made me think that the trends we are constantly bombarded with in this country don't necessarily represent the majority in every village. I know I keep saying it, but damn I'm lucky and blessed.


Comments

Popular Posts